Paralegal Associate’s Degree
Be an Integral Part of the Legal Team
Paralegals play an important role in the legal industry. While lawyers are ultimately responsible for legal work, many tasks are often delegated to paralegals within the law office.
National College's Paralegal program provides the fundamental knowledge of legal terminology, procedural law, drafting of legal documents, and research.
Graduates of the Paralegal program are eligible to take the Certified Legal Assistant (CLA) or Certified Paralegal (CP) exam administered by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).
The Paralegal program at the Roanoke Valley and Dayton Area campuses is approved by the American Bar Association.
As a student in the Paralegal program, you will:
- Gain a basic understanding of the core areas of law and court systems.
- Learn how to prepare effective and appropriate legal documents for litigation.
- Understand the role of administrative support during courtroom proceedings.
- Learn how to research legal issues.
- Understand how to navigate the court systems.
Your Learning Experience
Introduction to Paralegal Studies
Emphasis is on office behavior, ethics, skills, court systems, and case preparation.
Legal Research and Writing
Learn to effectively use law text and other law library resources.
Legal Office Procedures
Learn fundamental legal office procedures as well as exercises in judgment, independent actions, and coping with interruptions in the office environment.
Program core courses may include:
- Introduction to Paralegal Studies
- Legal Research and Writing I & II
- Wills, Probates, and Trusts
- Family Law
- Torts and Personal Injury
- Legal Office Procedures
- Pretrial Discovery and Trial Preparation
- Convenience and flexibility – day and evening course schedules to fit your life.
- Small class size – allowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
- Industry experienced instructors – bringing their administrative and paralegal experience to class.
- Peer tutoring – providing one-on-one help at no additional cost.
- Training in modern computer labs – simulating real-work experiences.
- Career services – helping with career advice and resources needed for today's job search environment.
- Refresher courses are available to all our graduates – keeping skills in their field of study sharp and current at no additional tuition costs.
Disclaimer: National College does not support the Unauthorized Practice of Law. Unauthorized Practice of Law damages the legal profession and the public it serves. A paralegal may not provide any legal services directly to the public or hold himself or herself out as an individual qualified to render independent legal services to another. A paralegal shall comply with the applicable legal authority governing the unauthorized practice of law in the jurisdiction in which the paralegal is employed or resides.
Also available, Paralegal Studies Certificate.
If you would rather speak with a representative over the phone, call 888.956.2732.
“National College helped me see that if I put my mind to it, I can do it.”
Select your campus from the list below to view costs and disclosures for this program.